Director, Communications and Technology Task Force
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), the nation’s largest nonpartisan, individual membership organization of state legislators, is seeking to hire a director to lead the ALEC Communications and Technology (CAT) Task Force. The CAT Task Force brings together state legislators, private industry, and policy experts to develop public policies that will promote economic growth, freedom of technology, and innovation in the states. The Director serves as the main policy expert and point person on issues related to communications and technology for ALEC members, staff, and media.
Candidates should have a minimum of three of related policy experience, preferably within one or more of the following categories:
• Broadband deployment and adoption
• Privacy and consumer protection
• Regulation of technology, including Section 230 and the First Amendment
• Emerging technologies, such as drones, blockchain and cryptocurrencies, artificial intelligence, and facial recognition
• Innovation, digital markets, and the gig economy
• Information technology, critical infrastructure, and security technologies
A strong background of working with state legislators and state policy issues is preferred. Qualified candidates will also have excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills. Previous policy research and media experience is helpful. Candidates must demonstrate a strong commitment to ALEC’s mission of promoting the Jeffersonian principles of free markets, limited government, and federalism.
• Educational Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree; graduate level degree is preferred
• Some travel is required (15%)
• Start date: Immediate
E-mail a resume, a writing sample, and a cover letter to Lee Schalk at [email protected] No phone calls, please.