COVID-19 & Outdated Emergency Management Acts Facilitated Gubernatorial Overreach
2020 ALEC Annual Meeting Workshop
In response to COVID-19, legislatures across the country are taking a fresh look at executive authority during an emergency like COVID-19. Some governors overstepped their authority.
In Wisconsin, the Supreme Court overturned Gov. Evers’ executive order and allowed the legislature to reopen the state. And in other states, ambiguities in state emergency management acts facilitated gubernatorial power grabs during the crisis. With this context in mind, state chamber leaders will host a discussion on state executive power and overreach.
- ALEC Chairman and Mississippi Speaker of the House, Philip Gunn
- Arizona Senate President, Karen Fann
- Wisconsin Speaker of the House, Robin Vos
- South Dakota Speaker of the House, Steven Haugaard
- Utah Senate President, Stuart Adams