Legislative Outreach Manager
The American Legislative Exchange Council seeks a Legislative Outreach Manager to join its high-energy, high-impact legislative engagement team. The ideal candidate will be detail oriented, outgoing and have a desire to develop legislator relationships and grow the nation’s largest nonpartisan, individual membership association of state legislators.
The Legislative Outreach Manager will lead a membership region, build and strengthen relationships with legislators, plan and execute events and promote the ALEC mission in the states.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Manages the recruitment and retention of public sector legislator members
- Daily legislator engagement offering both membership and public policy support
- Strengthen relationships with ALEC members through proactive engagement around task force products and policy priorities
- Lead a portfolio of states and serve as the primary point of contact for state chairs
- Assist public sector and private sector state leaders in building state chapters and state policy coalitions
- Seek opportunities to network, attend meetings, conferences and opportunities to showcase ALEC and ALEC members
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals, especially elected officials
- 3-5 years experience in nonprofit membership, state policy or comparable organization
- Ability to work collaboratively in team settings
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices for membership management
- Familiarity with Salesforce is highly desirable
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed, and to travel up to 30% of the time
- A commitment to the mission of ALEC
Qualified candidates should submit the following:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this role and salary requirements
- 1-3 writing samples of your choice
E-mail a resume, a writing sample, and a cover letter to Marie Vulaj Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.